The purpose of Medical Services Division is:
- Administrative oversight of medical, psychiatric, and pharmacy services provided by UTMB – Correctional Managed Care;
- Ongoing quality assurance monitoring of health care delivery provided at secure facilities, halfway houses, and contract care residential services:
- Access to care measures, risk assessment and cost effectiveness of health care delivery
- Data collection and analysis of health care delivery
- Quality improvement measures of health care delivery
- Comprehensive annual and follow up reviews of infirmary services
- Operational compliance with national accreditation requirements for health care services
- Collaborative meetings with UTMB to provide a framework for quality improvement, resource management, cost containment, and utilization review;
- Health and nutrition services program / policy development and implementation;
- Oversight of all aspects of food and nutrition services, including medical diets, food safety and sanitation, and food quality; and
- Quality assurance monitoring of food service operations at secure facilities and halfway houses to ensure that the agency meets or exceeds all federal and state standards for child nutrition programs.
The Nursing Services under the direction of TJJD Medical Director and Director of Nursing Services, provides clinical and administrative oversight of medical, dental, and psychiatric services provided to youth in state-operated programs by the agency’s contract health care provider, UTMB-Correctional Managed Care. Nursing Department staff also monitors health care access and quality for youth placed in contract residential facilities. Health care related consultation and/or training are provided to administrative and clinical staff in the field, TJJD district offices, and Central Office employees. Nursing Services collaborates with UTMB and other TJJD departments to ensure that policies and procedures related to medical care are consistent with national guidelines and standards, protective of youth rights and consistent with the agency’s mission.