The Independent Ombudsman is a state agency established for the purpose of investigating, evaluating, and securing the rights of the children committed to the Texas Juvenile Justice Department (TJJD).
- Review complaints, other than those alleging criminal behavior, filed with the IO and investigate each complaint in which it appears that a child may be in need of assistance.
- Provide assistance to a child in the custody of TJJD who the IO determines is in need of assistance, including advocating with an agency, provider, or other person in in the best interests of the child.
- Inspect periodically the facilities and procedures of the facilities where a child in the custody of TJJD has been placed to ensure that the rights of children are fully observed.
- Review the procedures established by TJJD and evaluate the delivery of services to children to ensure that the rights of children are fully observed.
- Review reports relating to complaints regarding juvenile probation programs, services, or facilities and analyze the data contained in the reports to identify trends in complaints.
- Report a possible standards violation by a local juvenile probation department to the appropriate division of the department.
JD Robertson is TJJD’s Independent Ombudsman. A retired Major with the Texas Rangers, his career has spanned nearly three decades of service to the Texas Department of Public Safety. As a former Commander of the Texas Rangers Special Operations Group, Roberston managed the special weapons and tactics team, bomb squad, reconnaissance team, special response teams, crisis negotiations unit, and border security operations. He is a member of the FBI National Academy Associates and a former member of the National Tactical Officers Association and the International Association of Bloodstain Pattern Analysts. Robertson was honorably discharged from the United States Air Force after six years of service. He is also a graduate of both the FBI National Academy and the United States Naval Post Graduate School Center for Homeland Defense and Security Executive Leadership Program. Robertson received an Associates of Applied Science with a focus on Industrial Security from the Community College of the Air Force, a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice from the University of Maryland University College, and a Master of Science in Applied Criminology from Texas A&M University – Commerce.
You can contact him at Jd.email@example.com or (512) 490-7993.
The IO reports to the Governor and the Texas Legislature. The IO is not a part of TJJD and does not report to TJJD Executive Management or the TJJD Board.
Before contacting the IO, you should try to resolve complaints through the TJJD grievance process. After going through the grievance process, if the problem remains unsolved, contact the Independent Ombudsman for assistance. When you believe the health, safety, welfare, or rights of a youth in TJJD have been negatively affected, it is important that you call us.
Toll free: (855) 468-7330
Austin: (512) 490-7973
Fax: (512) 490-7626
Independent Ombudsman for TJJD,
Building H,11209 Metric Blvd
Austin, TX 78758